Google Reader is dead

March 13, 2013 | 8 comments

Google Reader was a tentpole of the web I wanted: open, with full freedom of expression that wasn’t tethered to the platform you happened to choose to use. That web is now, largely, gone. Reader will be discontinued this spring.

In the same announcement, Google are talking about killing the standardized CalDAV API in favor of a Google Calendar specific set of calls.

You mean to say we’re going to have to go back and build that web again? That sounds like a good thing to do.

(If you’re missing Google Reader as much as I am, The Old Reader is a worthy alternative.)

Related entries

8 Comments

1. We’ve been working on a Google Reader replacement for the last two years: http://intigi.com. With Intigi, you can import your RSS feeds from Reader (via OPML) and then filter the feeds by your preferred keywords and social signals (e.g., shares via Twitter).

I’m one of the cofounders and happy to answer any questions about the service and would love any feedback, if you decide to give it a test spin. Please email me at mjfern(at)intigi.com.

mfern March 13, 2013 (5:47 pm)
  2. Google Reader is one of my favorite apps…it is like a personalized digital magazine for my morning…I will have to try intigi.

Sara Swenson March 13, 2013 (5:52 pm)
  3. Noooo!!!! So sad..

Michael Bushman March 13, 2013 (6:01 pm)
  4. A paramount of stupidity. How come Google want us to trust our vital services on them? With this I can start imagining something regarding Gmail too.

Carlos Alberto Santos March 13, 2013 (6:24 pm)
  5. #SaveGoogleReader

Paul_Werner March 13, 2013 (6:36 pm)
  6. Much as I admire Google, I find them hard to trust. Google wave, Google Groups with pages and files, and Needlebase. All gone.
    I want to do stuff with content, not just spend my time learning new cool platforms in beta…

Laurence Cuffe March 14, 2013 (3:19 pm)
  7. Let’s not forget that soon iGoogle and previously Notebooks was torpedoed. Google giveth and Google taketh away as soon as you get use to using their products and have a shit load of data :-( #GoogleBiteMe

Vicky Hennegan March 14, 2013 (3:34 pm)
  8. so sad, i don’t believe it, google reader is one of my favorite apps !