Writing in Oxford?

September 28, 2009 | 28 comments

Just a quick note: I’m starting an Oxford writers group.

My idea is that participants will be able to upload their work to a closed online space, so that it can be read and commented on in a more natural reading environment. Of course, if people want, they can also read their work aloud at meetings, which will be held regularly. If it works, I’ll expand the infrastructure so it can be used by local writers groups elsewhere.

The preliminary meeting, which will help determine the size and scope of the group, will take place this Wednesday, September 30th, at the Gardener’s Arms pub on Plantation Road in Oxford at 8pm. See you there?

Related entries

28 Comments

1. Sadly, have an evening class on Wednesdays.

Brennig September 28, 2009 (1:47 pm)
  2. Can’t make the first meeting, but definitely something I might be interested in. Can you keep me posted of developments…?

Thomas September 29, 2009 (10:42 am)
  3. I can’t make the first meeting, but I am definitely interested, so keep us posted!

Cas September 30, 2009 (3:50 pm)
  4. Sounds good. Do you know numbers likely to attend tonight?

Helen September 30, 2009 (6:39 pm)
  5. I will be coming, will you be in any particular part of the GA?

Colin September 30, 2009 (7:13 pm)
  6. Can you post an update telling us how it went? I’m v.interested but my evening class has many weeks left to run

Brennig October 1, 2009 (9:49 am)
  7. came across this by accident, but as a writer in oxford I would be keen to follow it up

Maeve October 21, 2009 (2:57 pm)
  8. I’m a locally based author, journalist and once published novelist and would be interested in hearing more.

Dave Richardson October 29, 2009 (11:06 am)
  9. Hi Ben,
    I am interested in this. Are you still meeting & if so when? Who are your members? I was a journalist for 10 years & am currently writing a series of children’s books. Sue

sue November 1, 2009 (4:03 pm)
  10. Hi Ben,

How is this going? I am very interested in joining. Would it be possible to have some more information and maybe come along to the next meeting?

Rachel

Rachel November 2, 2009 (9:51 pm)
  11. When’s your next meet, and may I attend?

Stella November 4, 2009 (3:14 pm)
  12. Hello I live just round the corner from the Gardeners Arms and I am very interested in what you are setting up. Did it take off and is it still going?

Tim December 3, 2009 (4:45 pm)
  13. HI I would be interested in joining -is this group still going strong?

clare March 3, 2010 (10:51 am)
  14. If people are still around, do come along to The Albion Beatnik Bookstore on Walton St on March 24th at 6pm for a readings and music night:

The Albion Beatnik is also a great place for a writers’ group to meet

Dan Holloway March 19, 2010 (10:57 pm)
  15. Is this writers’ group still happening? Any playwrights?

Bert July 7, 2010 (3:33 pm)
  16. Giants in the Earth
    By Nick Wood & Matt Marks

Oxfordshire Theatre Company are holding rehearsed reading of their brand new musical Giants in The Earth by Nick Woods & Matt Marks on the 7th Oct 2010 at the Oxford University Museum of Natural History. It offers a unique opportunity to view an entirely original piece of musical theatre writing in development. This rehearsed reading will include music from the original score performed by established and up and coming West End performers, and offers the opportunity to be involved in an
    audience consultation with the writer, composer and director. We’d love to hear what you’d think!
    Tickets: Adult £5 Concession £3
    Box Office: 01865 249444
    Online: We Got Tickets

17. Is this writers group still running?

Isobel January 22, 2011 (7:08 pm)
  18. I no longer live in Oxford, but there’s clearly demand! I bet it could be revived.

Ben Werdmuller January 24, 2011 (5:27 pm)
  19. I’m looking for a writers’ group too. Would it be possible to put some of us in touch with each other so we could organise something?

Becci July 21, 2011 (6:42 pm)
  20. I use to live in Oxford i was born and bred there now live in Hampshire but i have friends and family there i recently visited my friend who took my husband and myself on a nostalgic tour this stirred so many memories for me that i have been writing it all down just wondered if anyone would be interested in what i have written most of it relates to Oxford and Cowley during the 60′s and 70”s?

linda elvin October 9, 2011 (5:53 am)
  21. I am interested in meeting writers for exchange of ideas, feedback, advise, etc. I live in Banbury.

Patrissia Cuberos October 20, 2011 (6:21 am)
  22. Only just seen this. You do know there’s an Oxford Writers’ Group already, I trust? There’s a page about us on my website.

Jane Gordon-Cumming November 16, 2011 (6:16 am)
  23. Hello Jane, yes I had seen the OWG. The website appeared to be set up in 2007 and not updated since other than a couple of posts up to 2009 and it seemed to indicate that OWG wasn’t taking on new members so I’m setting up something low-key myself now.

Becci November 21, 2011 (11:57 am)
  24. If anyone has information on an active writers group in the Oxfordshire area, please post it here with contact details. Thanks

Brennig February 15, 2012 (9:08 am)
  25. Hello Becci -
    Are you still attempting to organise something in Oxford? I am an unpublished novelist looking for a small group of writers. Please let me know if you had been successful in initiating anything.

MC March 16, 2012 (7:09 am)
  26. Hi,
    I just wanted to ask the same question as MC above. If you are organising something in Oxford I’d love to hear about it.
    Thanks

Helen March 19, 2012 (2:57 pm)
  27. Hi Helen & Becci
    Not certain what you both are working on, but would you have an interest to meet at Summertown Wine Cafe for coffee? I’m available during the week – after morning school drop-off and before afternoon collection.

MC March 22, 2012 (7:12 am)
  28. Hi MC,
    I’m afraid I’m at work all day in March & April but should be able to arrange something during the day in May. I’m really just starting out and experimenting with different (short) bits and bobs, not working on anything in particular. If May might work for you (or if you can be available outside working hours) then I’d be happy to arrange meeting up. Take care and enjoy the sunshine!
    Helen

Helen March 23, 2012 (6:38 am)